Susana Canseco is a member of our Real Estate and Water Law Group. Susana is a native of Del Rio, Texas, along the banks of the Rio Grande. She represents owners of rural land in water-rights and real-estate transactions. She advises clients on permitting and related matters before groundwater districts, as well as actions and applications before the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality and Public Utility Commission. She advises clients regarding water-rights permitting exemptions and what they can do with water on their rural land.
Before joining Branscomb | PC, Susana operated a family business raising cattle and marketing grass-fed beef, an experience that gives her important perspective into her clients’ challenges and concerns in managing and using water in their businesses.
B.A., Harvard University, 2001 cum laude
J.D., University Of Texas School of Law, 2007 – With Honors
Law Clerk, The Honorable Judge Lee Yeakel, Western District of Texas, 2007-2009
• Represented landowner in contesting developer’s public water supply permit application before a groundwater conservation district and the Public Utility Commission of Texas, resulting in successful settlement for client.
• Represented Hill Country riparian landowners in contesting upstream wastewater disposal permit application at the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (“TCEQ”), including assistance with community organizing, resulting in withdrawal of permit application.
• Represented landowner/water rights owner in catalyzing finality of protracted groundwater litigation in client’s favor.
• Represented surface water right owner in protecting against ownership challenge to surface water right at the TCEQ.
• Represented landowner/groundwater owner in renegotiation of groundwater lease with water company.
• Represented landowner/surface water right in amending surface water permit at TCEQ.
• Represents buyers and sellers of rural land in all aspects of real estate transaction, from contract negotiation through closing, including analyzing groundwater and surface water rights associated with the land and special advice regarding severing or severed groundwater rights.
• Represents buyers and sellers of Edwards Aquifer water rights in all aspects of transaction, from locating available water rights through closing.
• Advises landowners on navigability of streams on their property for permitting purposes, public access implications, and allowable exempt use.
Member, State Bar of Texas
Member, State Bar of Texas Environmental Law Section
Member, State Bar of Texas Real Estate Law Section
Member, Texas Association of Groundwater Districts
Member, Texas Law Alumni Association, San Antonio Steering Committee
Susana lives in San Antonio, Texas with her husband Brandon and their children. Together they raise and market grass-fed beef, and Susana also enjoys riding and showing horses (eventing).